Tips for surviving the work day and staying focused on your career while going through a divorceMar 14, 2023
Divorce is hard, whether you were expecting it or not. And maintaining your performance at work before, during and after the long, stressful process can be really difficult.
It can sometimes seem impossible to get through the workday while feeling overwhelmed by the range of emotions you might experience, such as anger, depression, defeat, or loneliness. But it doesn’t have to be an uphill slog the entire time. There are steps you can take to help yourself get through this tough personal time without your professional life falling apart.
Here are some tips to help you survive the work day and stay focused on your career.
1. If you can, tell your line manager or a member of HR. Confiding in someone will ease the burden on you a little and they will be able to support you during the difficult times ahead.
2. Limit divorce-related messages at work. Don’t allow yourself to get too absorbed into reading messages from your lawyer or your ex. It can be very tempting to check your personal emails during the day but remember that one difficult email can have a huge impact on your focus and your mood. Make it clear that you are at work and you will only respond to urgent messages during the working day.
3. When you are feeling particularly stressed or overwhelmed go for a walk round the block and focus on your breathing.
4. If you are able to take some annual leave, book some in. This can be especially important immediately after your relationship break-down as you will need to process your feelings.
5. Don’t throw yourself into work. If focusing on your job will help you get through the divorce, great, but don’t ignore your feelings and burn out. You will need to acknowledge how you are feeling as ignoring the emotions won’t make them go away.
6. Take regular breaks. You need to get out of your head sometimes, especially if you are having a bad day, so remember to take breaks. Go for a walk, listen to some music, and clear your mind.
If you need support in rebuilding your life, get in touch.
Would you like weekly tips and advice on how to rebuild your life after divorce or relationship breakup? Sign up for my newsletter 'The Next Chapter'.
I hate SPAM. I will never sell your information, for any reason or send you excessive emails. You can opt out of my list at anytime.